One of my all time favorite “weekend warrior” wiring jobs was this disposal that was wired with phone wire. This demonstrates one of the problems with electrical installations in general—-there are many ways to make things function and yet the wiring can be wrong and dangerous.
Many defects are not as obvious as this use of phone wire to power a disposal. The Internet and its endless stream of information regarding the proper installation of almost anything, it is getting to the point where there is very little excuse for seeing installations like this—-yet they still happen. I love the Internet—doing my job would be very difficult without it.
Can you imagine life without “Google?”
When I am up late and trying to get a report out the door, and I need to get a question answered, I can almost always find the information on the Internet. The Internet never sleeps—-my friends that could answer my questions do! Most appreciate it when I don’t call them at 1:00 am!
It seems that people without electrical training fall into two more or less distinct categories when it comes to electricity. There are those that are scared to death of it and wouldn’t touch it; and, there are those that don’t know enough about it to know why they should be scared of it. The second group is responsible for the improper disposal wiring previously discussed.
While I am all in favor of people fixing and installing things themselves, a little self education should always be the first step in those repairs/installations.
If you enjoyed this post, and would like to get notices of new posts to my blog, please subscribe via email in the little box to the right. I promise NO spamming of your email